Current Affairs 2019-20
AIIB gave a loan of $210 million to India for irrigation and solar energy projects
🗓️ 25th December 2019
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has given a loan of $210 million to India for irrigation and solar energy projects.
- $145-million will be used to improve the irrigation facility and strengthen flood risk management in West Bengal and, $65-million will be used for 250 MW solar power project in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
- Hero Future Energies will develop a solar project.
- AIIB plans to increase the solar power capacity in Jodhpur to 616 MW by 2022.
Details of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank:
Established in: 2016
Headquarters: Beijing, China
President of AIIB: Mr. Jin Liqun
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank that was established with a mission to improve the social and economic scenario of Asia.
- Headquartered in Beijing, the bank started operations in January 2016 and has now grown to 100 approved members worldwide.
- The bank invests in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors in Asia and beyond that impacts the lives of billions and build a better future through better-connected services, people and markets.
- 5th Annual Meeting of AIIB will be held in China on July 2-3, 2020.
Governance of AIIB:
- Board of Governors is the top agencies that are responsible for decision-making.
- Then, the Board of Directors is at the second step, which guides the general operations of the Bank, exercising all the powers delegated to it by the Board of Governors.
- Then, the Senior Management Team is at the third step of this organizational structure and International Advisory Panel is at the 4th step.
Financial Operations of AIIB:
- Bank will “provide or facilitate financing to any member, or any agency, instrumentality or political subdivision thereof, or any entity or enterprise operating in the territory of a member, as well as to international or regional agencies or entities concerned with the economic development of the Asia region.”
Major functions of the bank are:
1. Sovereign-Backed Financing:
- A loan to, or guaranteed by, a Member;
- A guarantee that:
(a) covers debt service defaults under a loan that are caused by a Government’s failure to meet a specific obligation in relation to the Project or by a borrower’s failure to make a payment under the loan;
(b) is accompanied by a Member Indemnity.
2. Non-Sovereign-Backed Financing: means any financing extended by the Bank that is not a sovereign-backed financing; it includes any financing to or for the benefit of a private enterprise or a sub–sovereign entity (such as a political or administrative subdivision of a Member or a public sector entity) that is not backed by a guarantee or counter-guarantee and indemnity provided by the Member to the Bank.
3. Equity Investment: Bank may make direct equity investments in private or public sector companies.
4. Preparation Advances for Sovereign-Backed Financing: Bank may decide to make an advance (Preparation Advance) to finance preparatory activities for a Project to be supported by sovereign-backed financing.
Month: Current Affairs – December 2019
Categories: Banking & Economy
Important Points: Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank, solar power, Board of Governors, Governance of AIIB, Board of Director, Senior Management TeamSovereign-Backed Financing
Current Affairs 2019
About RBI Grade B
About SEBI Grade A
About NABARD Grade A