Current Affairs 2019
August Spotlight 2019
🗓️ August 2019
1. Union Cabinet has approved the increase in the number of Supreme Court’s judges from 31 to 34 through the Supreme Court (Number of Judges), Amendment Bill.
Reason: To quickly resolve the nearly 60,000 pending cases.
2. Delhi Public Library has commenced the Mobile library bus service under its “Ghar Ghar Dastak Ghar Ghar Pustak”
Purpose: To provide books to the citizens of Delhi, especially to resettlement colonies, slums and rural areas.
3. India’s first Rapid Rail Transit Corridor (RRTS) is being built between Delhi-Uttar Pradesh (17-km-long between Duhai-Sahibabad) and is expected to be operational by early 2023.
Complete Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS corridor will be operational by 2025.
4. Union Cabinet has approved the revised Chit Fund (Amendment) Bill 2019 (revised version of the Chit Funds (Amendment) Bill, 2018).
It will replace the Chit Fund Act, 1982.
The 2018 bill allows a chit to be drawn in the presence of at least 2 subscribers.
It proposed to increase the maximum commission of the person who manages the chit fund to 7% from 5%.
The 2018 Bill proposed to remove the minimum amount limit of chits at ₹100 and proposed to allow the State government to set the limit of the minimum amount of chit fund.
5. Cabinet has raised the subsidy of sulphur-based fertilizer to ₹350/100kg from ₹277 earlier under the Nutrient-based subsidy.The government is expected to incur ₹22,875.50 crore expenditure on the total subsidy burden for nutrient-based fertilizers.
|Non-Urea Fertilizers||New Subsidy Rates|
|Nitrogen (N)||Rs 18.90 per kg|
|phosphorous (P)||Rs 15.11 per kg|
|potash (K)||Rs 11.12 per kg|
|sulphur (S)||Rs 3.56 per kg|
6. Cabinet approved the Jammu and Kashmir Reservation (Second Amendment) Bill, 2019, to allow 10% EWS reservation in educational institutions and government jobs alongside existing reservations.
7. Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan Scheme aims to enroll 150 million workers of the unorganized sector in this scheme over the next 3 years.
The scheme was launched in February 2019.
8. NITI Aayog’s Atal Community Innovation Centre (ACIC) has been opened up in New Delhi with a focus 484 backward districts to provide access to the latest technologies for innovation to these areas.
India is the 3rd largest consumer of energy in the world.
These ACIC (opened as part of NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission) aim to facilitate innovation in the energy sector.
9. Andhra Pradesh has passed ‘School Education Regulatory and Monitoring Commission Bill, 2019’ to set up a state commission to monitor the school fees and implement the Right to Education Act, 2009 in the state. According to 2011 Census, Andhra Pradesh has a higher number of uneducated people (due to financial burden) at 33% as compared to national average of 26%.
10. Wing Commander of Indian Air Force, Tarun Chaudhari has become the first pilot to do a wingsuit skydive jump.
He jumped off from 8500 feet from Mi-17 helicopter on Kargil Diwas (26 July).
Current Affairs 2019
About RBI Grade B
About SEBI Grade A
About NABARD Grade A