Current Affairs 2019-20
Eight railway services are merged
🗓️ 27th December 2019
Union Cabinet has approved the reforms into the management of railways.
- The merger of 8 “Group A” services: The services of Group A cadre are being merged to bring effectiveness in the management and to also to end ‘departmentalism’.
- Now, a new service has been created which is named as the “Indian Railway Management Service”.
- The eight services that are being merged are traffic, accounts, personnel, engineering, stores, electrical engineering, signal engineering, and mechanical engineering. IRTS (Indian railway traffic service), IRPS (Indian railway personnel service), IRAS (Indian railway account service), IRSE (Indian railway service of engineer), IRSME (Indian railway service of mechanical engineer), IRSEE (Indian railway service of electrical engineer), IRSSE (Indian railway service of signal service) and IRSS (Indian railway store service).
- The recruitment procedure for the IRMS will be decided in consultation with the Department of Personnel Training and Union Public Service Commission.
- Renaming of Indian Railway Medical Service into Indian Railway Health Service in order to avoid confusion in the names.
- Now, Chief of the railway board will be the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the railway board who will be responsible for the whole cadre.
- The number of members in the board has been reduced from 7 to 4 with some independent members.
- These four members are responsible for managing the railway Infrastructure, Operations & Business Development, Rolling Stock and Finance respectively.
- A 2-day conference “Parivartan Sangoshthi’ was organized where this merger, as well as the management reforms, were decided.
- Unification of services has been recommended by various committees for reforming Railways including – the Prakash Tandon Committee (1994), Rakesh Mohan Committee (2001), Sam Pitroda Committee (2012) and Bibek Debroy Committee (2015).
- The govt has announced to invest Rs 50 lakh crore in Railways over the next 12 years.
Month: Current Affairs – December 2019
Categories: National News
Important Points: Union Cabinet, departmentalism, Indian Railway Management Service, Indian Railway Medical Service, Indian Railway Health Service, Chief Executive Officer, Parivartan Sangoshthi, Prakash Tandon Committee, Rakesh Mohan Committee, Sam Pitroda Committee, Bibek Debroy Committee
Current Affairs 2019
About RBI Grade B
About SEBI Grade A
About NABARD Grade A